It’s been a year (to the day), but the Speaking Easy Podcast is coming to you live through the airwaves again!
First, Merry Christmas to those who celebrate. To those who don’t but still have the day off, a merry day of drinkin’ to you! To those of you who have to work today, cheers to your after-work plan! That should cover everyone, but we hope you’re all well and imbibing responsibly and joyfully.
When we announced a hiatus last December 25, we really didn’t know what the future would hold. And frankly, some of it is still murky (we may need to clean our glassware better 🙂 to see further).
In reflecting on 2018, we’ve had a lot of personal life happening while the show has been paused. A big part of the podcast was always about making time for those you love and enjoying a few tasty concoctions to celebrate your time together. And, in a lot of ways, the podcast was one way for us to do that, but there was a lot more that we wanted to take time to explore.
We wanted to take this time to reach back out to you, our fans, to check in a bit on:
- What we’ve been up to this past year,
- What we’ve been drinkin’ this past year,
- A little bit of trivia on beverage control laws, and
- What the future of the Speaking Easy Podcast may look like.
We hope you enjoy this episode, which contrary to your first impression of our ramblings during the show, WILL include a very special recipe for a big event, and reach out to let us know what you think!
There is also one very special announcement from our very own Alex, and listen to the episode before reading below!
**SPOILER ALERT – DON’T READ BEFORE LISTENING**
As you heard on the episode, I’ll be leaving my regular hosting role on the podcast while Jordan explores the future of the show—and I do say “regular” hosting role because there’s no way they are going to get rid of me fully—i.e. I’ll pop in when it makes sense.
It’s been a big year on a personal front, and a year of change in terms of my imbibing. I wouldn’t say that I’ve fallen out of love with cocktails, but we’re taking some time apart at the moment. I’ve always viewed this show as a “cocktail and home entertaining” show, and the latter part will always be part of my Midwestern heart.
I’ve definitely been exploring the world of beer more, and would love to connect with other beer-focused listeners through my Untappd account, which is @SchmalexSchmuboff. Send me a friend request and we’ll keep the party that we started with this podcast going on a different platform.
I’ve got three thank yous that I’d like to send out before signing off:
1) To my (now) wife—thanks for putting up with all the nights of trying my (often) poorly constructed drinks and my insistence on visiting “just one more” liquor store to try to find an obscure Slovak herbal liqueur or something of the sort. Cheers to my forever wedding date (“scotch and soda, thanks!”) and champagne buddy!
2) To the mad scientist, and master producer, “Silent” Tyler: You literally made the show something beyond just being two jokesters rambling on and on, and made it into something that really shaped our lives for a couple of years. I can’t thank you enough for all that you did, but thank you. Cheers to all your other endeavors, and you deserve all the success!
3) To Jordan, the best damn co-host and (I’ll finally admit it) the best damn home bartender around: Well, bud, we did it. We got people to join the party and it was a helluva ride. From the high points, like the first time we got to talking drinks or when we interviewed bourbon legends, to the low ones, like me forgetting to prep recipes or you forgetting how great I am (jokes), it’s been awesome. Thanks for sitting down for a chat about drinks, over drinks, and for giving us a voice of reason. Cheers to being a better drinker!
And to our listeners, thanks for tuning in, filling up a drink, and for keeping the party going. Cheers!