We know, we know—we haven’t done a wine episode. And this still isn’t it. But we felt that we owed our listeners some version of an episode dedicated to the fruit of the vine, in addition to our Sangria episode, and so we hope we came through with winetails. But just don’t expect that we’ll actually cover wine generally anytime soon. We just can’t handle that pressure!
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- How to make cocktails with wine
- Pairing port and fortified wine with other ingredients
- How to bring wine out in front or lay underneath the other ingredients in your drink
Strawberry Peach White Wine Slushie
Ingredients (6-8 servings)
- 1 bottle chilled fruity white wine, like Sauvignon Blanc or Moscato
- 6 cups of frozen peaches
- 4 cups frozen strawberries
- ¼ cup sugar (if it’s too tart)
- Optional: 4-6 oz of brandy
- sliced peaches & strawberries for serving
Combine the wine and frozen fruit in the blender and blend until the mixture’s purified and smooth. Garnish with a mint sprig.
Trafalgar Punch (borrowed from David Wondrich) (20-30 servings)
- 12 oz. 10-Year-Old Tawny Port
- 8 oz. VSOP Armagnac
- 4 oz. White rum (Wray & Nephew Overproof is a good choice)
- Peel of 3 lemons
- ¾ cup sugar
- 6 oz. fresh-squeezed, strained lemon juice
- 24 oz. water
- 1 whole nutmeg
In a 3-quart punch bowl, muddle the lemon peel and sugar. Let it sit for one hour. Stir in the lemon juice. Add the 10 Year Old Tawny Port, Armagnac, rum and water and stir again. Carefully slide in a 1-quart block of ice. Chill for 20 minutes and grate 1/3 of a whole nutmeg over the top. Ladle out small servings into punch cups. Makes 20-30 servings.
White Port & Tonic (borrowed from Spritz: Italy’s Most Iconic Aperitivo Cocktail, With Recipes by Talia Baiocchi & Leslie Pariseau) (1 serving)
- 2 oz white port
- 4 oz Fever Tree Tonic Water
- ½ oz fresh lemon juice
Fill a highball glass with ice. Combine ingredients, stir, and serve. Garnish with a Portuguese flag.